Festival Blossom Tour Map
History and Guide to Map
In 1901 Spencer Hall planted 10 acres of almonds by the Aldinga Road and Giles Road; the varieties used were Brandis, Non Pareil and Paper Shells ❷. The trees along the boundary fence still blossom and yield fruit today. The year 1909 saw Mr. Strout planting on a large scale on Strout Road ❶ – the varieties of Strout, Johnston and Paper Shells. It was not until Mr. Walter Brown started planting in 1927 at the corner of Aldinga Road and Delable Road ❸ that the Chellastion variety was largely used. He planted 40 acres, 10 acres per year.
Mr. Ellis, a real estate agent for ‘W.F. Bullock’, journeyed to America in 1933 and recognised the similarity with the Californian almond growing areas and the Willunga region. On his return, he encouraged local farmers to plant on a larger scale and in 1934 the Almond Groves Company was formed. This company planted 240 acres on the corner of Colville Road and Almond Grove Road ❹. The years 1930 to 1940 saw the district being planted in full, with some 50 to 100 acres being planted annually.
During the 1970’s irrigated orchards enjoyed increased yields, but wet cold weather at blossom time (pollination), and the pressure of urban expansion, saw the bigger growers moving out of the district to Riverland areas. Closer plantings, irrigation and better pollination gave even bigger yields and through the mechanisation of the harvesting operation, made large orchards a reality. Today the few remaining family orchards (❶❹❺❻) remain viable by direct marketing of their almonds.
Almond Blossom Displays
Copyright © 2019 Willunga Almond Blossom Festival PO Box 208 Willunga SA 5172
Willunga Recreation Park is owned and managed by the Willunga community